In an effort to further her musical education, Susan Omand has been set "homework" of listening to albums released after the 1980s that she has missed out on. This year, however, is a little different...
Up til now, Educating Omand has been a single tutor list (i.e. all albums suggested by one person) but the headmaster, Prof Taylor-Bryant, reckoned I was getting too settled in my new comfort zone of proggy-post-punk-rock-opera, announced that it was time for a change and ordered me out into the big wide world for a year of different music experience.
OK, not quite "the big wide world" - COVID restrictions being what they are, I wouldn't ever get out of quarantine [UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! - Ed] but we came to an agreement. Instead of spending my year stuck in airports, I could ask our wider DCMG writing team, regular and occasional contributors to our websites at The DreamCage and AlbieMedia, for their album suggestions.
So, ever an eclectic bunch, here is this year's Educating Omand Gap Year album list [in alphabetical order by Artist just for spite - Ed]:
- Ill Communication by Beastie Boys (suggested by Marc Nash) READ THE REVIEW
- Science Fiction by Brand New (suggested by Nate McKenzie) READ THE REVIEW
- The Prom (Music from the Netflix Film) by The Cast of The Prom (suggested by Paul Robinson) READ THE REVIEW
- Legend by Clannad (suggested by Daniel White) READ THE REVIEW
- The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most by Dashboard Confessional (suggested by Nate McKenzie) READ THE REVIEW
- Ire Works by The Dillinger Escape Plan (suggested by Ruairi B) READ THE REVIEW
- Turnstiles by Billy Joel (suggested by Steve Taylor-Bryant [quelle surprise - Ed]) READ THE REVIEW
- Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division (suggested by Marc Nash) READ THE REVIEW
- Disco by Kylie (suggested by Paul Robinson) READ THE REVIEW
- Brother, Sister by Mewithoutyou (suggested by Ruairi B)
- Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance (suggested by Ren Zelen)
- Vitalogy by Pearl Jam (suggested by Steve Taylor-Bryant)
- Birdbox OST by Ross and Reznor (suggested by Daniel White)
- Valtari by Sigur Ros (suggested by David Ames)
- Sundowning (deluxe) by Sleep Token (suggested by David Ames)
- The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen (suggested by Stuart Mulrain)
- Gone to Earth by David Sylvian (suggested by Ren Zelen)