The Royal Ballet invites you to the barre as tomorrow sees this year's World Ballet Day events pirouette on to our screens...
From 12 pm on Thursday 5th October, audiences around the world are invited to watch 5 hours of behind the scenes live footage from The Royal Ballet direct to their desktops, smartphones or tablets using Facebook LIVE as part of the 22 hour live stream, with Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet, which starts at 2 am tomorrow morning!
World Ballet Day secured over 700,000 live views last year and this year viewers are invited to get involved and share their dance moves with the rest of the world using the #BalletNoFilter and sharing a dance image of themselves, whether novice or professional or somewhere in between.
Presented by Ore Oduba and dancers of The Royal Ballet, the exclusive behind the scenes footage provides an insight into a day in the life of one of the world’s top ballet companies. The Royal Ballet live stream offers a mix of rehearsal footage, behind the scenes access, interviews with dancers, choreographers and the Director of The Royal Ballet, Kevin O’Hare.
In addition, there’s pre-recorded content from Birmingham Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Northern Ballet. Other guest companies The Royal Ballet has partnered with are Dutch National Ballet, Finnish National Ballet, La Scala Ballet Company, Norwegian National Opera and Ballet, Polish National Ballet, Royal Swedish Ballet, The Royal Danish Ballet, Stuttgart Ballet, and Wiener Staatsballett. Each of these companies will be joining in the day with their own Facebook LIVE broadcasts on their own Facebook channel.
In total across the 22 hours each partner company, The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet, has worked to ensure over 21 guest companies are represented on the day.
The Royal Ballet Live Stream, 12pm – 5pm Thursday 5 October 2017, will be streamed on FaceBook Live and www.worldballetday.com
Here's what's planned.
• Ballet Class with teacher Olga Evreinoff
• Interview with Marianela Nuñez on dancing with The Royal Ballet for 20 years
• VT: Marianela Nuñez archive
• Choreographer Arthur Pita rehearses his new ballet The Wind
• Interview with Arthur Pita
• VT: English National Ballet rehearsing Kenneth MacMillan’s Song of the Earth
• #BalletNoFilter invite for viewers to share their dance moves
• Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland rehearsal with the Fernando Montano as The Caterpillar
• Interview with Royal Ballet Rehearsal Director Christopher Saunders
• Feature on dancers fitness at The Royal Ballet
• VT: Inside The Royal Ballet’s Health Suite
• Premiere of Ballet Fit, a new fitness online video series from The Royal Ballet
• VT: Scottish Ballet rehearsing Christopher Hampson’s The Rite of Spring
• Rehearsal with students of The Royal Ballet School
• Kenneth MacMillan feature
• Rehearsal of Kenneth MacMillan ballets Jeux, Judas Tree and Elite Syncopations
• VT: Northern Ballet on The Little Mermaid
• The Royal Ballet and National Ballet of Canada collaborate on The Dreamers Ever Leave You
• VT: The Birmingham Royal Ballet rehearsing Concerto
• Inside The Royal Ballet Wardrobe department
• The Royal Ballet’s corps de ballet rehearse Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
The first World Ballet Day LIVE was held on October 1st, 2014. The live broadcast offered unparalleled, behind-the-scenes access to ballet companies around the world, the streaming project revealed each company’s approach to company class and rehearsals, illustrating the unique personalities that characterise five world-class companies. As the first event of its kind, the 20-hour streaming project garnered critical and viewer acclaim.
Image and info - Royal Opera House